Thursday, November 20, 2008

Cooking Hardtact Civil War Style

Last week, in my fifth grade social studies class, I began teaching my students about the Civil War. I am always looking for better ways bring my lessons to life or close to it. I found a recipe for Civil War hardtack and decided to fix some for my kids. Brooks and I had a good time mixing the two cups of flower and half cup of water to make a rather large tasteless cracker. My students as I hoped thought the stuff was horrible! Many of them said," How in the world could someone stand eating this junk?" Needless to say after trying some, Kristy also has asked me not to cook any of these for dinner HA HA! I guess this gets me out of cooking for a little while longer. My big helper showing me how to cook Civil War hardtact.


No comments: