Tuesday, September 18, 2007

A $70 MOSQUITO BITE!!!!!!!

Well, Brooks continues to keep us on our toes. As I have explained before he is VERY allergic to mosquitoes. Sunday afternoon we played outside for a little while (with bug spray on) and he got bitten on the side of his head. I put medicine on him and later he went to bed, blah, blah, blah. The next morning I went to get him up and first thing he said was, "Eye, eye." I opened the blinds to see Brooks' huge red eye. (I did not know he had been bitten on the eye too). He acted fine so I gave him Benedryl and took him to Miss Emily's. When I picked him up it was still very swollen and I came home and called the doctor to see what I should put on his eye, continue the Benedryl, etc. They said their office was about to close, but that he could have Periorbital Cellulitus(sp?) and to take him to the ER. I said, "For a mosquito bite??????" She said that whenever there is redness and swelling in the eye region, they need to be seen. So off we go to the ER. They got us back pretty quick and he was running a low temp. (possible infection) and his eye did look infected from the bite. They wanted to see if it was the Cellulitus or just soft tissue infection. So we began the bloodwork. ANYWAY............... after 5 hours in the ER, 3 rectal temps, 2 checks of his blood pressure, blood drawn, 20 washing of the hands (I was so scared he would pick up a deathly illness there), and a $70 copay, we finally learned .................... he was bitten by a mosquito!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They gave him Benedryl (imagine that) and said right now he did not have the bad infection, but if things changed at all bring him back immediately. We had to follow up with Dr. Raper this morning and he checked out fine. Apparently, if a bite in the eye region gets infected it can turn into Periorbital Celllitus which can cause infection to leak to the brain. We are thankful that everything turned out fine, but it is a little funny to tell people that we took Brooks to the ER for a bug bite!



3 comments:

LB said...

Poor baby! I know you are so relieved that everything is ok, but what an ordeal! You never know what each day will bring with little ones!

LB said...

Poor baby! I know you are so relieved that everything is ok, but what an ordeal! You never know what each day will bring with little ones!

LB said...

Sorry! I don't know how I posted twice! :O